Re: Mail Server - long suggestion

Subject: Re: Mail Server - long suggestion
From: Blake Girardot (girardot@mac.com)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 01:46:37 MST

its not yellow dog specific, but i just got done doing this a few times a
few different ways on a yellow dog like system, RH 7.2:

option 1 - most difficult, but what i liked the most when done:

rip out sendmail first off.

install qmail in its place, using maildirs, not mboxes

use vmailmgr to create virtual domains with qmail (that always comes up
next).

use omail manage the vmailmgr users and virtual domains.

courier-imap and courier-pop3d servers for client access

squirrelmail for the user's webmail front end.

doing it all securely makes it about 1.5 times harder.

option 2 - only slightly lower requirements (can all be done easy with rc
scripts and xinetd) and works ok:

rip out sendmail first off

install qmail in its place, using maildirs, not mboxes :)

use vpopmail to create/physically manager the virtual domains with qmail

use vqadmin to manage the vpopmail virtual domains via the web

use qmailadmin to manage the users and user alias/mailing lists via the web

courier imap and pop3d for traditional client access

use squirrel mail for web access to mailboxes

here's some urls:

the inter7.com folks have lots of good explinations of how all the small
pieces fit togeather.

http://www.postfix.com/start.html - MTA - good and secure but not as
supported by other tools listed below as qmail.
http://qmail.mirrors.summersault.com/top.html - MTA

http://www.vmailmgr.org/ - Virtual domain admin for qmail only
http://www.inter7.com/vpopmail/ - Virtual domain admin for qmail or postfix

http://vmailadmin.sourceforge.net/ - Allows client to admin virtual mail
domain qmail + vpopmail, great and easy done.

http://www.webmin.com/webmin/ - manage qmail, sendmail, vpopmail boxes, and
many other services.

http://www.squirrelmail.org/ - Vmailmgr Admin plugin [4] with the Courier
IMAP server (CourierIMAP) and qmail (QmailSMTP) with Vmailmgr as your MTA.
http://webmail.omnis.ch/omail.pl?action=about - Web based email and virtual
domain management for qmail + vpopmail or vmailmgr, but mostly vmailmgr i
think.

http://www.dulug.duke.edu/~icon/qvcs-guide/ - a good step by step of putting
several parts togeather.
http://www.nrg4u.com/ - qmail big picture and qmail ldap patch
http://www.lifewithqmail.org/ - the bible for qmail

if you get it all going togeather you get a very nice virtual domain email
pop/imap/webmail toaster i think they call it.

forgive me if i have some of it wrong its late here, but i wanted to get a
stab at it while it was still quasi-fresh in my head.

hope it helps.

blake

Blake Girardot, Installation and Training
blake at contextcraft com
Context Craft LLC