no sound (Wallstreet PBG3, YDL2.1)

Subject: no sound (Wallstreet PBG3, YDL2.1)
From: Andrew Stout (astout2@swarthmore.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 01:47:19 MST

My next big hurdle: getting sound to work on my Wallstreet...

during bootup I get something about

finding module dependencies: lib/modules/2.4.10-12a/modules.dep can't
be opened or something [FAILED]
file [FAILED]

sorry I don't have the exact error, I had to write it down as it
scrolled by. (Is there a place those things are stored, where I can
look at it at my own place? That'd be a useful thing to have/know
about...)

...and, unsurprisingly, I have no sound. Not a peep, though I
haven't made a particularly thorough test yet.

What's going wrong here? How do I fix it? How do I give my linux
partition the voice it so richly deserves?

(this is probably a pretty standard problem...sorry if it's been
dealt with before, but my search of the archives didn't yeild any
answers...)

TIA...

--Andrew