Re: no sound (Wallstreet PBG3, YDL2.1)

Subject: Re: no sound (Wallstreet PBG3, YDL2.1)
From: Andrew Stout (astout2@swarthmore.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 20:01:02 MST

An update:

So, after reading some stuff on the LinuxPPC archives, I try the following:

I look in /lib/modules. Turns out there's no 2.4.10-12a directory,
only a 2.2.19-1r directory. "Hmm," says I, and

$ mkdir /lib/modules/2.4.10-12a
$ cd /lib/modules/2.4.10-12a
$ depmod -a

not so much because I have any idea what depmod does (something about
building a database of dependencies for modules, I glean from the man
page) as because that's what this post in the LinuxPPC archives
advised. I reboot, and the error "depmod: can't open
/lib/modules/2.4.10-12a/modules.dep for writing FAILED" is gone,
because depmod made the modules.dep file in the directory I created.
But now it says it can't find the dmasound_pmac module. So I do a

$ locate dmasound

and discover that there's a dmasound_pmac.o in
/lib/modules/2.2.19-1r/misc, but not in /lib/modules/2.4.10-12a,
because I just created that directory. So I

$ cp /lib/modules/2.2.19-1r/misc/dmasound_pmac.o

and reboot. "AACK", sayeth the bootup messages, "the dmasound_pmac
module is mismatched! It's compiled for the 2.2.19-1r kernel, but
I'm the 2.4.10-12a kernel. Did you really think it would be that
easy?" So I

$ locate dmasound

again, and observe that there's a
/usr/src/linux-2.4.10/drivers/sound/dmasound directory, with a
Makefile and a bunch of .c files. "Hrm" says I, "maybe I have to
compile this module myself." So I

$ cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.10/drivers/sound/dmasound
$ make dep

Nothing doing. No rule to make "/Make.rules". ditto on

$ make

So here are my questions:
1. Why the [explitave deleted] wasn't there a /lib/modules/2.4.10-12a
directory with all the right stuff in it to begin with, if I'm
installing YDL2.1 right out of the box, so to speak? Does this have
something to do with the fact that I had to run the installer on the
2.2 kernel to keep the mount.py script from barfing?
2. How do I fix this? Is there a way to just compile the
dmadound_pmac module from the source in the
/usr/src/linux-2.4.10/drivers/sound/dmasound directory? If so, what
is it, as the make file seems dependent on making the whole kernel
from the top directory? I don't have to recompile the whole kernel,
do I? I mean, I'm already using something which proports to be
2.4.10-12a. dmasound_pmac is a /module/, so I ought to be able to
compile it seperately, no? Am I misunderstanding something here, or
what?

Please advise...

Andrew "not a total idiot, just new to system administration" Stout