XF86Config-4 for beige G3?

Subject: XF86Config-4 for beige G3?
From: Nathan A. McQuillen (nm@steaky.dhs.org)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 09:01:37 MST

Hey folks.

I've been struggling for months now trying to get a reliable XF86Config-4
on my beige G3 (using the built-in video). I know about the automatic
hose-all-your-settings-on-reboot gotcha (is that some wretched stab at
'plug-n-play'?!!), but I just can't get the dang thing to give me video at
all most of the time. Would somebody please be a mensch and send me a
/working/ XF86Config-4 for a beige G3 using built-in video and a generic
multiscan monitor?

For that matter, if anyone woudl care to enlighten me, /why/ don't any of
the X autoprobe utilities work at all on this machine? I mean, they run,
until it comes time to test the display, then they invariably choke. Kinda
sucks, and given that I've found next to no information online on using
Linux on the beige G3s (except a lot of my posts, unanswered), I just
can't make it work. Seems pretty bizarre given that AFAIK it's a pretty
garden-variety ATI chipset in the beast.

Thanks all, and be well.

- Nathan (2)