PowerCenter Ethernet problems

Subject: PowerCenter Ethernet problems
From: John Ruschmeyer (jruschme@mac.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 15:43:18 MDT

Hi!

I have a PowerComputing PowerCenter (Catalyst architecture, 64mb, 225/45
604e processor) running MacOS 8.6. I connect to the Internet using a
Motorola cable modem on the Comcast @Home service.

I have been trying to install LinuxPPC (both LinuxPPC 2000 and YDL 1.2) and
can get everything to work except for the Ethernet connection to the cable
modem.

As I recall, both distros are running some version of 2.2.15. In either
case, the problem manifests itself as extremely large numbers of receive
errors, dropped packets and framing errors (as shown by ifconfig eth0).

I think I can rule out the hub and cables since the exact same hardware
configuration works fine under both MacOS 8.6 and MkLinux DR3 (the latter
removed to allow the LinuxPPC installation).

Any thoughts or advice on what might be happening? I tried looking on Deja,
but only found a lot of disparaging comments about the Mace Ethernet and
references to people installing PCI cards. It's not the way I really want to
go, but is it time to consider giving up my last PCI slot for a NIC?

Thanks...

--
John Ruschmeyer
jruschme@mac.com