Pismo, 2.4 Kernel, Sound problem

Subject: Pismo, 2.4 Kernel, Sound problem
From: Ted Goranson (tedg@infi.net)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 09:23:18 MDT

Friends,

I have a stock Pismo with a workstation YDL install. Sleep was not
being handled well, so I swapped the older kernel out for the newer
one (2.4.4). Sleep now works perfectly. However, where we once had
nice sounds we now have disturbing loud white noise. The noise is
particularly noticable during the KDE startup when the fanfare should
be tooting -- I am afraid I am damaging my speakers. As this is to be
a development machine, I think I can live with no noise if I must.
Two questions:

--Is there a way to repair the noise problem, or alternatively turn
off the static?

--Are there other gotchas with the 2.4.4 kernel either in general or
on the Pismo?

Best, Ted

--
Ted Goranson