Re: Pismo, 2.4 Kernel, Sound problem

Subject: Re: Pismo, 2.4 Kernel, Sound problem
From: Scott Shanafelt (sgshanaf@chartermi.net)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 09:58:47 MDT

Note about audio: the only sounds that generaly can damage speakers are
pure square waves, in fact most high end stereo systems are broken in with
white/pink noise.

The reason square waves are hard on speakers is because the wave is "square"
it forces the amplifier to pull the speaker in the direction of the current
waves polarity and hold it to the end of that wave. This puts a lot of work
on the voice coil and causes them (usualy at high volume and wattage levels)
to get very hot.

Just thought I'd throw that out there
-Scott