Adding a Second Ethernet Interface

Subject: Adding a Second Ethernet Interface
From: darren david (darrendavid@thebomb.com)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 13:56:36 MDT

Hi all-

I'm running a G4/400 with YDL 2.0. I want to set up separate internal
network, so I've installed a Farallon 10/100 PCI Ethernet card as
eth1 to handle my connection to the outside world via PPPoE. However,
I've got a couple of questions:

1) YDL finds and configures the card (ifconfig shows that the
interface is up), however, I can't establish a link between the card
and the hub. I've tried 2 different cards in all three slots with the
same results. Is this a problem with the card? I would think, from
prior experience, that the link should come up ASAP regardless of the
ethernet configuration?

2) Assuming that I want to use the built-in ethernet interface (eth0)
for the internal network and the PCI card (eth1) for PPPoE... how can
I set up a routing table to route packets between the two when the IP
address for eth1 is always configured dynamically at connect (using
adsl-start?)

Thanks in advance,
Darren David