BUG? : modutils package missing genksyms

Subject: BUG? : modutils package missing genksyms
From: Charlie Watts (cewatts@frontier.net)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 23:37:01 MDT

I was having trouble building a kernel with working modules on a fresh YDL
2.0 install, so I started staring at the build process more closely.

I noticed a million of these:

| /sbin/genksyms -p smp_ -k 2.4.6 > /usr/src/benh_kernel/include/linux/modules/ksyms.ver.tmp
/bin/sh: /sbin/genksyms: No such file or directory

I went searching on-line, discovered that genksyms is part of the modutils
package, and checked that modutils was installed. Indeed, it is:

# rpm -q -a | grep modutils
modutils-2.4.3-1a

Hrm. So where is genksyms?

# rpm -q -l modutils | grep genksyms
/usr/share/man/man8/genksyms.8.gz

So the man page, but not the actual binary, are installed by the modutils
package.

For now, I've compiled genksyms from the modutils source .tgz and have
dropped it into /sbin. Kernel is compiled just fine, now.

2.4.6-benh fixes a weird text console problem I was having with my
whiteBook in the YellowDog 2.4.4 kernel

How do we submit bug reports? I'm CC'ing suggest@yellowdoglinux.com as
that is my best guess from their website.

--
Charlie Watts
cewatts@frontier.net                                Frontier Internet