YellowDog 2 on PowerMac 7600/120 "no hard disks found"

Subject: YellowDog 2 on PowerMac 7600/120 "no hard disks found"
From: James (james@jconnolly.com)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 19:48:41 MDT

Two identical machines, PowerMac 7600/120, 32 MB RAM, 1.5 GB hard disk

Installing Yellow Dog Linux 2 from the 3-CD boxed set

During installation at the partition section: "No hard disks found."

Low-level format using drive setup from OS 8.1, 8.6, and 9.1

Partitioned 1 HFS partition (100 MB) and 1123 MB unallocated space.

The HFS partition has Mac OS 8.1.

The BootX 1.2.3 system extension often crashes with an "unimplemented trap"
error on reboot. This problem is resolved by zapping PRAM.

I try BootX with the text installer, with and without "force SCSI", with and
without "no video driver".

The linux boot screen always recognizes the CD-ROM.

Once, on each machine, it recognized the hard disk.

Because I'm prepping these machines to become a redundant service, I need to
be able to rebuild them without fail. The fact that I can format the hard
disks, install the Mac OS, and then get stuck with "no hard disks found." is
a real problem.

I've searched the YDL digests and other linux resources.

Are there kernel options that I'm supposed to add that I just don't know
about? Has anyone seen this behaviour before? Where should I go from here?

...James

By the way: as a test, I installed the YDL2 on an iMac DVSE 400 MHz without
incident, so I'm confident the CD-ROM is intact (there's a notice on the
website that some discs were faulty).