Re: Powerbook G3 installation

Subject: Re: Powerbook G3 installation
robert.kerr@gtri.gatech.edu
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 14:52:40 MDT

>I'm new to this mailing list, so maybe this question has been
>answered before. I've succesfully installed YDL onto a PowerPC
>7200/120 (works great too...) but am now having difficulty with my
>powerbook.
>
>I've tried installing YDL about 4 times now, every time encountering
>a new problem. Currently it is not recognizing the keyboard. Why is
>that...?
>There were 3 choices, mac extended, standard and dvorak. I picked
>standard...isn't this the right one?
>
>Any help rendered is much appreciated.
>--
>KRISNADI POEDJOSOEDARMO
>Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute
>Tel: (510) 428-3885 ext. 2643

Which G3 Powerbook do you have? Does it have USB ports? Have you
tried to build a custom kernel?

I have YDL 2.0 running on a "Wall Street" (Old World ROM) Powerbook,
with no problems.

I used the mac standard (HFS, not HFS+) disk partition format, which
worked fine.

My G3 Powerbook has no USB ports, but the default YDL 2.0 kernel
configuration uses a USB driver to talk to the ADB port devices (
keyboard and mouse) anyway. Apparently there is some built in, low
level translation that allows the USB driver to work.

I have also installed YDL 2.0 on a PowerMac 8500 with a Newertech G3
upgrade card. I tried rebuilding the kernel on this machine a time
or two, which eventually got me better performance, but in the
process I once tried selecting the old ADB port driver (in make
xconfig) instead of the USB driver. In that instance, the 8500 did
not recognize the keyboard. I've had no keyboard problems as long as
I've stuck with the USB driver.

--
Robert R. Kerr