Apache Virtual Hosts

Subject: Apache Virtual Hosts
From: Rob Brandt (rbrandt@sbdsl.com)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 13:27:08 MDT

Hi.

Hoping somebody can point me in the right direction...

I'm trying to get virtual hosts running on Apache/YDL 2.0. I'm an Apache
and Linux newbie. I believe I have the basic configuration working, as I
have designated

NameVirtualHost 208.199.219.39

and I have my "Main" server set up as a virtual host as:

<VirtualHost 208.199.219.39>
DocumentRoot /var/www/html
ServerName csd-bes.net
</VirtualHost>

The correct page shows up, and if I change the DocumentRoot in the block
above to another location, the new location correctly appears in the browser.

What's not working is when I try and add a new virtual server, such as
"support.csd-bes.net". If I add:

<VirtualHost 208.199.219.39>
DocumentRoot /var/www/html
ServerName support.csd-bes.net
</VirtualHost>

Browsing to http://support.csd-bes.net results in "server not found". So
what am I missing? I've looked on the apache web site and it looks like
I'm doing everything right, but I cannot find examples of exactly what I'm
doing above. The examples reflect virtual servers with completely
different domain names, not different 'servers' of the main domain. BTW,
you may have noticed that my DocumentRoot is the same for both virtual
hosts above, but it is not my intent to actually have them point to the
same location once they are working. I *think* that's what aliasing is
for, and it's not what I want to do. I just haven't set up any pages or
location for 'support.csd-bes.net' yet.

TIA

Rob