Re: hard/software

Subject: Re: hard/software
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 13:12:46 MDT

At 1:36 PM -0300 7/19/01, Rodrigo Esteves de Lima-Lopes wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have 2001-model and there are some hardware/software
>newbie issues I would like to discuss:
>
>1) is the iMac's (2001-model) CD-RW compatible with Linux ?
>Can I burn CDs on it? Is it compatible with cdrecord-1.9 or
>any other tool? I found lots of information about CD-ROM, but nothing
>about CD-RW

Basically any CD-R/RW should be compatible. You may have to use
ide-scsi to make the IDE CD-RW appear as a SCSI device (this is the
same everywhere, not just on Macs).

>2) I have an old parallel Iomega zip 100 driver, is it possible make
>it work in a USB iMac running linux?

You would need a USB to parallel converter, and there appears to be
no driver for the converter in Linux.

>5) how much RAM does it support? is it recognized automatically?

More than the iMac can hold, and yes it is recognized automatically.

   Tim Seufert