YDL won't finish install on PPC 6500

Subject: YDL won't finish install on PPC 6500
From: Dave Sacher (SacherD@frcc.cccoes.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 13:12:24 MDT

Greetings from Colorado!

I need your help. I've been using Macintosh computers since at least
1990, and for ten years before that, I was a pretty capable PC-DOS
warrior, so I am reasonably confident and comfortable around
computers, and not afraid of a command-line prompt --- but this is my
first foray into installing an "alternative" OS, and so far, I am
stumped!

I purchased the $30.00 (no support) version of YDL 2.0 a week or so
ago, and have not been able to get to complete the installation
process. I am using a Power Macintosh 6500/275 with a 6 GB hard
drive and 96 MB of RAM. Prior to beginning the install routine, I
did a low-level format of the drive, including writing zeroes. I
initialized the disk with a 1 GB partition for the Mac, and installed
OS 9.0.4. I have a 10 MB bootloader partition set aside for future
use. I initially set the swap file size to 128, as recommended the
YDL installer instructions. Lasty, I created the Linux partition at
the maximum amount (approx. 4900 MB).

I have tried to boot directly from the YDL Install CD, since it
appears to have a System Folder on it, but that doesn't work. I have
visited the YDL web site, and read the FAQ and installation files. I
have been popping a Zip disk into the built-in drive, as suggested.
I have DL the "customized" BootX installer. Following the recent
suggestions on this list, I increased the size of my swap partition
from 128 MB to 256 MB.

I have tried both the default installer routine, as well as the
custom version. I make it just past the Mount Point menu item - and
then nothing more. Sometimes I will get a dialog box which says
Formatting - although there is no progress bar - but most of the time
I just get a blank screen. No blinking cursor, just a grey raster on
the screen.

Any ideas?

- Dave