YDL 2.0 installation weirdness on a 4400

Subject: YDL 2.0 installation weirdness on a 4400
From: Juha Västi (jix@mac.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 09:07:14 MDT

Hello everyone, I guess I'm pretty much of a newbie in using linux,
and I'm having problems installing YDL on my mac. First some specs
for my mac:

I'm using a clone mac (mactell), which is basically just a 4400
(200mhz 603ev), which has been upgraded with a newer G3 upgrade card
to 300mhz. I also have a gamewizard 8mb (voodoo2), 128mb RAM, and
other not so significant things (like a non-apple cdrom). I have a
6.4G IDE hd with a 2gig Mac OS partition and the rest for linux,
unnallocated. (basically the hd is just for linux)

.. now for the actual problem:

I downloaded and burned into cd's the both cd's, installed BootX and
restarted my mac, and started linux with the graphical ramdisk image.
First I noticed that the whole screen was garbled, and all the text
was hard to read, but still possible, and found out that YDL for some
reason put the refreshing rate of my monitor to 195hz (I can see the
resolution and refreshrate from a 'graphical' menu where you can set
brightness etc. (builtin in the monitor)). I waited for a bit and the
graphical installer booted, and saw all the colours were strange
(they were the wrong colours, as I later found out). Nevertheless, I
continued, since despite the colours being messed up, all the text
was easily readable and so on, thinking it might be possible to
correct the display settings later. I chose the home/office package
and 'happily' installed it untill I got to the network settings, and
when I chose DHCP the screen started flickering from black to
black/white stripes, and I had to restart. I tried installing again
but got the same result.

now for the weard part:

After trying all the bootx options and combinations I could think of
(no video driver, text installer, etc), I thought the problem could
be in my gamewizard, since it wouldn't be the first time it has been
making trouble, and so I pulled the card away and used the onboard
video (which I think my comp uses anyway when not playing 3d games or
something else requiring the voodoo2 card), and booting again. It
worked, but for some reason I got the text installer despite using
the graphical installer image (?), and I booted again wondering if I
had the wrong image, but I hadn't (note: it could've been the text
installer after all, I might have not saved the bootx preferences
after changing the image), and this time when I booted back to linux,
my screen was messed up again (??).. after swearing somewhat much, I
tried the text installer and all the preferences again, but they did
no good. I did get a clean screen one time too, but I did nothing but
press reset for a few resets (???).

I guess that's all, I quit soon after that. Sorry for the quite long email :).

Looking at the supported machines page, I see a text "IMS Video not
supported", I hope the onboard graphics on my comp isn't 'IMS Video'.

PS. Does YDL support G3 upgrade cards?

                Juha Västi
    , hopefully getting to say thanks for the help.