Re: JDK1.3

Subject: Re: JDK1.3
From: Charles Eggers (ceggers@solitonresearch.com)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 12:48:58 MDT

>Hello,
>It seems that YDL2.0 did not include JDK1.3 on the CDs.
>Any suggestions? I need Java 1.3 on my box.
>les

I downloaded 1.3 from http://www.blackdown.org; the installation is
quite easy and straightforward on my PM 7300 (Newer G3 upgrade, 256MB
RAM).

In the course of a project I'm working on, though, I managed to cause
1.2 and 1.3 both to start quitting on random, nonrepeatable array
access errors and such on reading 130,000+ records from some data
files. After adding more memory to my 7300 to no avail (I was
flailing at this point) and in a fit of desperation, I brought up my
G4/350 under Mac OS 10.0.3 and it all worked fine with no complaint.
The java installation bundled with OS X is 1.3, but obviously from a
different source, probably Sun.

At any rate, I've gotten months of work done on my trusty 7300
running YDL 1.2.1 and JDK 1.2/3 except for this one showstopping
episode. Maybe it's my machine, maybe not.

Good luck -
Chuck

--
Charles E. Eggers, President