Re: HELP! I am new to Linux!

Subject: Re: HELP! I am new to Linux!
From: Sean O. Denney (sdenney@cise.ufl.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 20:02:41 MDT

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 christopher.murtagh@wcg.mcgill.ca wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Sean O. Denney wrote:
> >4. Never ever mount your MacOS partition as writable. You can mount
> >it as readable, but NOT WRITABLE!!
>
> Why's that? Have you had problems with this? I've mounted the macos
> partition to modify my yaboot.conf file without any problems.

For a beginner, screwing up the MacOS partition would be a bad
idea. Back in the days of MkLinux, I had problems with this, but
haven't actually needed to do this under YDL. (Didn't have problems
when I did it under YDL). I have a new computer specifically for
MacOS, and do all my file swapping via netatalk/appletalk.

> >put the CD in the CD tray, open a linux terminal, type
> >
> >mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
>
> Actually, 'mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom' will work just fine. Save
> yourself some keystrokes. :-)

Most of the time. Some CDs won't mount without specifying the format
and ro/rw options.

> >> 2. The Linux partition on my hard disk is 2 GB. But how can I know
> >> how many disk space is left? I tried the KDE explorer but I couldn't
> >> find where it says it.
> >
> >open a linux terminal, type
> >
> >du

df is what I meant... brain overloaded... didn't get enough
caffeine when I wrote my post...

> This will actually show you the usage of all directories below your
> current directory, which might take a long time, and seem to scroll
> forever.
>
> du | less
>
> is better,
>
> du -s
>
> is even better (but will still take a long time)
>
> df
>
> is probably closer to what he is looking for. man df for more
> information.
>
> >(OK, so this is a really cruel idea.) Netscape is flaky under
> >Linux/UNIX, but is the best option. You don't have to reboot the
> >machine, just kill netscape's process.
>
> Bah, no! Opera is *much* better than Netscape/Mozilla. You can get a free
> version (with banner ads) from http://www.opera.com, or you can buy a
> version without ads. I'm going to buy a copy because it is pretty damn
> good.

I didn't mention Opera because of the ads. I won't pay for software
to get rid of ads and I won't use software with ads.

Lynx is the bomb ;)

--- Sean