DSL HELP!!

Subject: DSL HELP!!
From: Brooks (ldbrook@swbell.net)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 11:25:03 MDT

We're going to try this one more time!
I have DSL through SWBell. The IP address is not fixed. The DSL modem is
hooked up via my ethernet port. I have YDL 2.0 and am using the KDE
environment.

Here are a few things I've been told so far...

1. I've been told that adsl should be all I need to get online with my
DSL modem. ( I don't know what "adsl" is and have not been able to find
it anyway.)

2. I've also been told that I need the following program to get hooked
up via PPP...

    rpm-pppoe-2.8-1.ppc.rpm

    Now, I've burned this to CD and copied it to my Linux desktop. After
considerable effort I was able to
    get the installer to work via the terminal but I got the following
messages....

    -file/etc/ppp/pppoe.conf from install of rp-pppoe.2.8-1 conflicts
with file from package rp-pppoe-2.5-1
    -file/usr/sbin/adsl - connect from install of rp-pppoe.2.8-1
conflicts with file from package rp-pppoe-2.5-1
    - AND about 6 or 7 other conflict messages that read about the same.
What this means I have no idea!

If there is anyone out there that can tell me how to get online (a step
by step instruction - please do not assume I know any common steps, I'm
afraid this will only lead to failure) I would sooooooooooooooo much
appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brooks
labrook@swbell.net