Re: Can we triple boot

Subject: Re: Can we triple boot
From: Michael Tucker (mtucker@eecs.harvard.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 22:39:29 MDT

Hi,

  One word of caution... It may be very convenient to have the current
directory and/or your home directory (ie . or ~) in your path, but I try
to avoid that. The problem is that if someone hacks into your system they
can replace commonly used programs, like ls for example, with their own
modified copies by leaving them in your home directory (or in other
directories). AFAIK putting your current directory in your path is a big
no-no in the security world. If your machine is not connected to the
Internet this is not an issue, but it seems like most machines are
connected to the Internet these days ;-)

Mike