FAQ fodder: TCP/IP setting in MacOS

Subject: FAQ fodder: TCP/IP setting in MacOS
From: Walls, Bryan (Bryan.Walls@msfc.nasa.gov)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 15:45:32 MDT

I was going batty trying to figure out why I could communicate from my new
YDL 2.0 installation on an 8600. All the routing and ifconfig info looked
right. The ethernet cord was plugged in, and let up on the other end. I
could ping myself but nobody else. The IP and routing info was correct, and
they even came from DHCP.

So I booted in MacOS and tried Whatroute. Couldn't ping from there, either!
Checked TCP/IP panel, and it was set to "Use MacIP". For some reason.
Changed to Ethernet. Could ping from Whatroute. Rebooted to Linux. Networked
fine!

Was that actually the problem in YDL? Does the following make sense?

FAQ question:
All my TCP setup looks right, and even picks up info from DHCP correctly,
but I can't communicate. What's wrong?

Answer:
Make sure the TCP/IP setting in MacOS is set to Ethernet.