Re: regarding YDL video

Subject: Re: regarding YDL video
From: Stephen Lewis (lewis@napanet.net)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 12:53:45 MDT

Lets assume that you have a working Linux system :-)
The list of 'vmodes' can be had by typing:

man vmode

although I believe that mode 22 is now defined for the Cinema display

For more details on who does what with the args I read the source thus:

cd /usr/src/linux/drivers/video
vi aty128fb.c

the args to 'video=aty128fb:vmode:14,cmode:24' are parsed in the driver
(not sure how they get there but they do), (ignore what I said about
'mclk'
that was bogus)

The problem for the 17 inch LCD display is (I *think* - I don't have
one)
that mode 20 is 1280x1024 at 75Hz and this is probably the wrong frame
rate.
Since there is no mode yet defined for 1280x1024 at 60 Hz, Apple (and
then
Linux) will have to define one and add the code to the driver else this
system can never boot. The best course of action now is to install YDL
using a different monitor (almost *any* CRT monitor plugged into the
other connector
on the Cube and using an appropriate mode 'man vmodes'),
then edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 Screen section appropriately for your 17
inch LCD
and then append this line to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local

/usr/sbin/fbset "1280-1024-60"

Then your Cube (*with* 17 inch LCD) will boot just fine,

Stephen Lewis