Re: Kernel 2.4.4 drivers

Subject: Re: Kernel 2.4.4 drivers
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@IainStevenson.com)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 09:20:38 MDT

Michael,

What machine are you using?

on 30/6/01 3:19 pm, michael at mlibby@qwest.net wrote:

> I ran through a kernel compile (make xconfig; make dep; make; make modules),
> and I set the USB printer and scanner stuff to Y rather than M. (Should I
> have just set it to M?).

Good - you didn't need to select 'M'. You can either permanently compile
USB functionality into the kernel (which you have done) or have it as a
loadable module. In the former case, you would not see or need any USB
printer modules.

You need to do 'make modules_install' to install the modules you built for
the new kernel.

> Then when I'm done I have a new vmlinux and a new
> System.map, which I renamed, put in /boot, and changed the symlinks to point
> to the new bits. I couldn't find any replacement module-info or zImage files.

You only need the vmlinux file. However, if you have an older mac (ie
before the 'new world' G3 and G4s) then you have to copy the kernel to a Mac
partition as per the BootX instructions. If you're not using BootX forget
about this!

> But when I restart it still looks like the stock kernel from YDL (the login
> label matches the label on the /boot files), and I have no idea how to check
> to see if my new kernel with the drivers I need is the one that loaded.

Use the 'dmesg' command and check the result for signs of USB

  Iain