Re: Upgrading to KDE 2.1

Subject: Re: Upgrading to KDE 2.1
From: Sean Riley (rileys@rcn.com)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 17:45:50 MST

I wouldn't hold myself out as too knowledgeable, but I did the upgrade from
the stock KDE from YD 1.2.1 (not sure what version) last night.

There are RPM's available to put it in /opt/kde2 tree via linuxppc.org, in
their rpmfinder search. It was in one of the contributors directories. You
will need to also get QT 2.2.4 and open ssl (for Konqueror secure browsing),
I seemed to have to get a more recent version of bzip2 as well.

Read the FAQ, install in order, make ENV changes and you should be fine.

I did have a problem with the kdemultimedia package, It complained about
libXaw.so.7 being a dependency (even though it was there <shrug>, I forced
the issue with --nodeps and it loaded, but I have been seeing some funky
sound on startup (could be I'm running it on 8600/200 with only 80MB RAM)
don't know.

Since the previous version I had was pre 2.x I am truly impressed, I run
gnome on my WinTel machine from work and thought it was good, but I must say
I am impressed with KDE 2.1..... Konqueror is a good browser so far, and more
'screen efficient' than Netscape.

Good Luck

SR