Powerbook 2000 G3 and Xconfigurator

Subject: Powerbook 2000 G3 and Xconfigurator
From: Timothy Morgenthaler (tamorgen@aol.net)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 11:11:13 MST

Hi,
After a long, tedious process of trying to install YD, I've finally got a
running machine. Problem is, I can't get startx to run properly. I have a
Powerbook 2000 G3 500 MHz, which I believe is being called "pismo" on this
board. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I'm having some real
problems getting video to work at all. I've updated to XF86 4.01 as suggest
by one of the threads on this board, and I'm still not getting anything to
work. I'm using the defualt ATI Rage 128 video (not like it gives me a
choice) and I'm choosing Apple Powerbook G3. I've also tried the powerbook
99 settings, actually with slightly more success, but I still can't get it
to really function properly in any video mode. When I try running startx,
I'm getting the following error:

Fatal server error:
No valid modes found.

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send the full
server ouptut, not just the last messages

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

Has anybody had positive results with a powerbook like mine? Am I choosing
the correct Monitor? Right now I'm only shooting for 640x400 8-bit video,
which would at least show me that I'm doing something right, but nothing
that I'm trying is working. Thanks for any suggestions.