best java JDK on YDL

Subject: best java JDK on YDL
From: Pietro (ppesci@cantv.net)
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 13:29:26 MST

--------- Original message ------------------
i've seen in the extra cdrom their is IBM Java2 JRE and also j2re which,
i suppose, is the blackdown version. i'm a newbie in java field and i
like having advises which one to install. My purpose being xml, xsl, xsd,
svg, dtd, pdf and vrml editing.

Yes, j2re is the blackdown version, you can get a newer version in
blackdown.org site (j2sdk 1.3.1).
Thanks to Blackdown team.!!!!! :)

Unfortunately, Blackdown don't have JIT for 1.2 or 1.3 versions right
now and runs slow sometimes but averall is a very good software piece.

On the other hand, IBM JRE has a JIT and must be faster but simply don't
work on my machine. Everytime that I invoke java, it said "Out of
memory, exiting" and i have 384MB RAM (???). Documentation from IBM that
comes with the package states only tested in a SuSE PPC Linux 7.1 (the
worst linux distribution that i tested, no flames please, in intel SuSE
is REALY good).

In the IBM site there is no mention at all of PPC jre, ironic eh?. But
of course there are some information about porting JRE to Itanium.
Someone in this list can understand to IBM? :(

Pietro.