Re: can't resolve named hosts

Subject: Re: can't resolve named hosts
From: cubisss (cubisss@mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 02:06:20 MST

Newbie, so take what I offer with a grain of salt...

I am using IPNetRouter and had very similar issues. I finally got them
straightened out, but my troubleshooting was a little non-linear, so I can't
say which variable was the critical one.

On the Linux end I created /etc/rc.conf as:

Hostname="localhost"
Domainname=""
Defaultroute="192.168.111.1" (Router Address)

And added the line:

lookup file bind

To the end of /etc/resolv.conf

Somewhere I read there was a difference between
"lookup bind file" and
"lookup file bind", search me.

Things were running, and I deleted that line (lookup file bind), as well as
rc.conf, and it still works.

My /etc/resolv.conf is now:

search 192.168.111.1
nameserver 192.168.111.1

With IPNetRouter, I opened up port 53 as domain, don't know what that'll
look like on the airport.

Hope any of this helps.