Re: Open Firmware, "blessing" partitions & restarting

Subject: Re: Open Firmware, "blessing" partitions & restarting
From: Ben Stanley (bds02@uow.edu.au)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 20:59:40 MST

The yaboot documentation says that the boot partition should not ever be
mounted, especially by OS X, becuase it 'un-blesses' it.

You should boot Linux off the CD (see the engineer's notes at the bottom
of the Yellow Dog installation instruction page) and then re-run ybin to
fix this.

And, btw, I've had problems with the yaboot that comes with ydl 2.1. I
recently upgraded to the more recent one in the yellow dog updates
directory, and the problems went away. (One of my problems was with
ext3, but I don't know what caused the other problems.)

And as for mounting hfs partitions from Linux, I don't recommend that -
the kernel hfs implementation has suffered bit-rot. Use hfsutils instead.

Ben.