Re: X sound server/pismo 400

Subject: Re: X sound server/pismo 400
From: Ben Stanley (bds02@uow.edu.au)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 18:24:49 MST

Paul Guba wrote:

> I was not able to find any information in the archives concerning this
> particular problem. Are the modules mentioned installed normally or do
> I need to find them somewhere.

There is one kernel module for driving the sound in the pismo. you already
have it.

There is a userspace program called artsd which mixes the sound from various
different programs together into one sound stream for output to the kernel
sound driver. This is the program that has problems with the driver for the
pismo. I don't know how to fix it. My best solution is to turn off artsd. You
do this by opening your KDE control panel, finding the sound section, and
disabling the 'start sound server on KDE startup' checkbox. You will no
longer receive the message, and you will be able to run programs which use
oss sound drivers (such as xmms if you change the output plugin, by using the
preferences menu which is accessible by right clicking on the xmms window.).

Ben.