Re: Ease Of Use and Hardware Support (WAS: Linux Laptops)

Subject: Re: Ease Of Use and Hardware Support (WAS: Linux Laptops)
From: Robert Brandtjen (rob@prometheusmedia.com)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 01:31:55 MST

On Friday 08 March 2002 09:10 pm, Timothy A. Seufert wrote:
> s an aside, it would behoove you to find a place where Apple
> actually says "fully supported" or similar.  You probably won't have
> much luck.  (One of the reasons the class action lawsuit is probably
> doomed.)

thats your opinion tim - and yes, it was right on their website - if they
have removed - no big surprise - they are being sued.

All Apple G3's were supported, its not fud, the problems are there, the
lawsuit is real, the suit could have been made for the PCI macs under
California Law. why? they were sold to the mac user base as "fully supported
for Apples next generation OS - OSX/Rhapsody"- that point was made in early
1997 - when they weren't supported under the original OSX - were they old ?
hardly, the 9600 was still being produced and sold, the 7600/7300 went out of
production 1997 - it was a move to push hardware, since there was no other
compelling reason (read speed boost) to do so.

now I haven't checked lately, but as of OSX 10.01, uname -a came back with a
Rhapsody 1.3 - OSX 1.2 is Rhapsody 1.2. The reason for the name change was to
screw people out of their Apple updates.

Linux doesn't drop support for older hardware - MS doesn't drop support for
older hardware - Apple does, but then Apple needs to drive hardware sales to
make ends meet - or as Jobs said in his Time Magazine interview in 1996,
"milk the Mac user base"

In legal terms - this sets a pattern - legal suits look for patterns of
behavior in suits like this - saying Apple was "gracious" enough to do so is
nonsense, the machines were fully supported with out hacks on the beta
release - the fact that support was later removed was in fact nothing more
then mean spiritedness.

BY the way, had you read the entire legal filing, you would know it also
affects the early G3 laptops - which were, under the adds at the time (legal
dispute doesn't concern itself with present marketing, it's what was in place
at the time the hardware was sold) was also a fully supported piece of
equipment for OSX 10.

Now - that lawsuit exists - contrary to your earlier assertion that there
were no problems listed nor any support to my alleged FUD - there are
hundreds of posts at the forums on Macobserver, xlr8yourmac, etc.

I hope he wins his lawsuit - just like the owners of pre PCI macs who were
sold a life time support warranty ( I was one of them) and were later told to
take a hike by Jobs - Jobs lost that class action suit.

I think asserting these things didn't happen is FUD.

--
 Robert Brandtjen