Re: Ibook Sound

Subject: Re: Ibook Sound
From: Matthew Larson (ml582@columbia.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 07:02:11 MST

Sound will work on the iBook 2001 with YDL's stock 2.4.10 kernel. The
trick at first is testing it. CDs won't play (at least without extra
effort, perhaps someone else can offer more info) I think because
there's no direct connection between the CD and speakers, or something
like that. At any rate the CDs need to be digitized to play--this is
what OSX does, for instance. Also, sound does not work under KDE, so no
use testing it there. In fact, you may get interesting and painful
screeches if you turn on their arts server.

One way to test it is to use XMMS to play an MP3 or audio stream from
the web. This is what I use it for, and it works quite nicely.

Without my iBook in front of me I can't tell you what to check
module-wise (dma_sound or something?), but if I remember correctly once
I got the right kernel installed sound just kind of worked. Also, check
the mixer levels to make sure the volume's up.

Hope that helps you get started.

Matt