RE: Linux (YDL) vs. Linux (Intel flavours)

Subject: RE: Linux (YDL) vs. Linux (Intel flavours)
From: Ferwerda Darren (app3dxf) (app3dxf@ups.com)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 08:06:08 MST

        Yellow Dog is based off of Red Hat, so they use the same
initilization procedures. More or less a standard SYSV init sytem. There
are other versions for both PPC hardware and x86 hardware. One of the other
cross architecture distros is Debian GNU/Linux. They use the same init
sequence on all hardware. They also use the same toolset. E.G. apt,
dselect. They use an init similar to Red Hat, but some of the device config
is different. There is also SuSE. That is a whole other beast that I am
not familiar with.

        On the Intel only (right now, I have heard rumblings on porting
Slack.) Slackware uses a modified BSD init system. Different Distros also
put binaries in different places. The kernel level stuff, like modules, and
such are the same, but once you get into the userland utilities, things
start getting different. Config tools also tend to be VERY different
between distros. SuSE has YAST, Mandrake has Mandrake Control Center and
other may or may not have their own setup utilities. Mount points tend to
change as well. SuSE uses / to mound devices, like /cdrom, as opposed to
the Red Hat method of /mnt/cdrom.

        If you have a more specific question, you may want to direct it to
the list that is associated with that particular distro.

        [Note the paragraphs, for easier reading :)]