Re: RP-PPPoE & Verizon DSL

Subject: Re: RP-PPPoE & Verizon DSL
From: Bill Fink (billfink@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 21:03:28 MST

On Wed Mar 13 2002, Daniel J. Costello wrote:

> I'm currently trying to configure Roaring Penguins PPPoE client for YDL. I
> use Verizon DSL (By force, I have ill-feelings towards Verizon. How do you
> like that restraint from obscenities?).
>
> I ran the ADSL-SETUP and configured it as the program requests. I'm
> actually able to Connect running the ADSL-START. For some reason, I can't
> use any DNS functions. I cannot ping, I cannot do a nslookup, ftp, or
> anything of the sort.
>
> The Odd thing about Verizons setup thatıs confusing me is that they give you
> the following to set up your TCP/IP around:
> -IP address
> -Gateway
> -DSN Server
> -Search Domain
>
> Then you run the PPPoE Client and it uses this to gain the real address from
> their server. I really hate PPPoE. Get cable, and avoid DSL. I have
> configured my eth0 through "netconfig" to the settings that Verizon has
> given me, and also set up the "ADSL-SETUP" giving the correct information.
> So why can't it access the DNS? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Hi Daniel,

Check what USEPEERDNS is set to in /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf. If it's yes,
check that /etc/resolv.conf gets set to the right DNS servers. Or
alternatively, set it to no, and hardcode the DNS servers in the
/etc/resolv.conf file (which you would have to change if Verizon
ever changed their DNS servers but this doesn't happen very often).

                                                -Bill

P.S. You might want to check out EarthLink for DSL service.