Re: inter-cluster communication

Subject: Re: inter-cluster communication
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 14:33:59 MST

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Jim Potter wrote:
>I've got a small cluster of YDL units in a factory automation setup;
>it's not a beowulf type cluster (they're each running different
>things). What's the best quick-and-dirty way for one of my servers to
>periodically extract little bits of info from the units (such as getting
>cpu temperatures from /proc/cpuinfo)?

 I could think of a number of ways to do this:

 1) setup cronjobs on the machines you want to monitor to fetch the
appropriate info into a text file, and rsync it to the main server.
(quick++ and dirty+)

 2) run Apache on these same machines and have a CGI that is capable of
delivering that info. (quick-, dirty-)

 3) have the main machine run remote X apps on the other machines running
X server. (quick--, elegant+)

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada

Tel.: (514) 398-3122 Fax: (514) 398-2017