Re: Sharing data between partitions

Subject: Re: Sharing data between partitions
aaron.drews@philips.com
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 02:31:44 MST

} I think I had read this elsewhere, but how to go about doing it? Would I
} just have to know the had of the partition? I'm not too clear on the format
} of that, and the man page doesn't really illuminate things too much (unless
} I'm just using the completely wrong command). So would it be
} mount hda9 /mnt/FileSharing
}
} or something like that?
}
} -Rob
}

You might need to
      mount /dev/hda9 -rw -t HFS /mnt/FileSharing
(someone please correct my syntax if this is wrong)
This specifies the file format and allows read/write access.
Don't know how you're /etc/fstab is set up, but you might want to add it there,
make the mounting in fewer keystrokes.

} ------
} Linux can mount the HFS (standard) partition. However, since you have OS9
} on there, I wouldn't recommend it. What you really want is a small HFS
} partition (just for file swapping, no MacOS on it, a few hundred MB or a
} gig-and-a-half at most) that can mount in both Linux and MacOS and wouldn'
} t screw up your system if things get weird. Don't use the bootstrap
} partition, because mounting it in MacOS can cause problems with booting
} Linux and MacOS.
}

I have to say this is a good idea. Mounting your MacOS System Folder with
write rights is as bad as logging in as root for daily work.

Of course, the only way to create a new partition is to delete everything,
re-partition, and re-install everything. I'm not sure if pdisk can do
'soft partition' from within Linux.

--Aaron