(Long) cups, gimpprint, serial port, Epson 740i

Subject: (Long) cups, gimpprint, serial port, Epson 740i
From: Michael J Flaherty (mikeflaherty@mn.rr.com)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 13:41:35 MST

Hello all,

I've recently installed cups and gimpprint --with-cups, both from source,
having concluded from my bit of research (mainly linuxprinting.org) that this
was the best option for my 740i. Machine is essentially a stock 7300/200
running kernel 2.4.18 w/ serial support provided AFAICT by "macserial.o", as
a module.

I have found only one account of this printer working in any meaningful way
via the serial connection... (here, link below if you're interested) Quite a
few unanswered questions from the lost in ydl and linuxppc mailing list
archives though.

<http://lppcfom.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/743.html>

I'm interested in whether it is still necessary to use stty, as the guy on
the linked page specified (2 years ago). I have tried stty 230400, but this
has not changed anything at all.

Feedback on whether I'd have better luck putting a usb card in this 7300 to
run the 740 would also be much appreciated. They can now be had for fairly
little $$. Reports of success using the usb port are more numerous.

I'm having some doubts about whether cups is working properly, as well as
whether communication through the serial port is appropriate. Here are a few
of the specific questions that I have about cups, for anyone running it,
especially via the serial (/dev/ttyS1, aka printer port, aka serial port 2
in the cups set-up dialogue) port:

Why does CUPS configure to load the "serial" (as opposed to macserial) module
at startup ?

When I try to print a test page from the browser based cups printer
management tool (http://localhost:631) , I get an i/o error, can't
communicate with the printer message with the "serial" module loaded. If I
do an rmmod serial and an insmod macserial, it can communicate with the
printer, although it prints out gibberish...in varying quantities (from 5-20
pages, sometime with just a few gibberish characters, other times it fills
entire pages) depending on the other settings I select.

If someone is willing, please look through the following and advise.

What are the proper settings ? (from the following, all choices from the
CUPS online printer admin):

Modify Printer section

Name: here I have "Epson"
Location: /dev/ttyS1

Device section

Device: I have "Serial Port #2" Choices are AppSocket,
IPP(http), IPP(ipp), LPD/LPR Host or Printer, 32 different serial ports, and
16 different usb ports

Serial Port section

Baud Rate: I have 115200, choices range from 1200 baud to 115200 baud
Parity: I have no idea what belongs here, choices are none,
even , and odd
Data Bits: No idea, choices are 7 or 8
Flow Control: No idea, choices are XON/XOFF (software), RTS/CTS (hardware),
and DTR/DSR (hardware) ... FWIW "software" is the only choice which
generates a response (the gibberish) from the printer.

Model/Driver section:

Model:
Here I have selected "Epson" from the list of manufacturers
Driver:
Epson Stylus Color 740, CUPS+GI MP-print v4.1.99-rc1 (en)

Thanks if you made it this far,

MJF