Re: rm defaulting to -f instead of -i, why?

Subject: Re: rm defaulting to -f instead of -i, why?
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 00:24:32 MDT

Dan's bits of Sat, 29 Apr 2000 translated to:

>Just yesterday rm decided that it knew that I was sure of what I was planning
>to delete (which I usually am) and has started to default to non-interactive
Are you sure you this change didn't go hand in hand with switching which
account you were using? The default setup for CS 1.2 makes rm interactive
as root and non-interactive for other users. I think.

>removal of files. Where/how can I change this back to default to interactive?
>I usually use the -f flag, but I'd rather have to specifiy it anyway.
You need to set up an alias. Something like...

alias rm='rm -i'

should do the job. If you want it set up automatically, you will need to
add it to the appropriate shell initialization file (.bashrc, .tcshrc,
etc.).

Jim