Re: rm defaulting to -f instead of -i, why?

Subject: Re: rm defaulting to -f instead of -i, why?
From: Dan (dan.kortschak@adelaide.edu.au)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 18:17:15 MDT

Jim Cole <greyleaf@yggdrasill.net> wrote:
.Dan's bits of Sat, 29 Apr 2000 translated to:
.
.>Just yesterday rm decided that it knew that I was sure of what I was planning
.>to delete (which I usually am) and has started to default to non-interactive
.Are you sure you this change didn't go hand in hand with switching which
.account you were using? The default setup for CS 1.2 makes rm interactive
.as root and non-interactive for other users. I think.
.
.>removal of files. Where/how can I change this back to default to interactive?
.>I usually use the -f flag, but I'd rather have to specifiy it anyway.
.You need to set up an alias. Something like...
.
.alias rm='rm -i'
.
.should do the job. If you want it set up automatically, you will need to
.add it to the appropriate shell initialization file (.bashrc, .tcshrc,
.etc.).
.
.Jim

The problem started when I put in my .bash_profile, .bashrc and .alias. None
of which make any reference to aliasing rm options. So the rm deafult state
was pre init file installations:
root: rm -i
users: rm -i

After
root: rm -i
me: rm -f
others: rm -i

The aliasing optin doesn't seem like the way to go to me as I can't then say
rm -f. (It's not so much that I always want to to be in the -f mode, just that
I'd like to have to tell it - it's a security blanket I guess - when I'm doing
an rm -r sometimes I like to make sure I'm not deleting things that I still
want and if I forget to put in the -i switch there's no going back with the
way things are set up at the moment.)

thanks
DAn

--