Re: Newbie questions--firewire G3, compatibility,etc.

Subject: Re: Newbie questions--firewire G3, compatibility,etc.
From: Peter J Muhlberger (peterm+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 11:07:11 MDT

Excerpts from mail: 11-May-100 yellowdog-general Digest 11.. by
yellowdog-general-di@lis
> On Wed, 10 May 2000, Peter J Muhlberger wrote:
>
> > Can YDL be installed on a firewire G3 so long as I don't need the
> > firewire ports?
>
> Yes; however the stock kernel can not be used; see:
>
> http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/
>
> > If not, does anyone know when a version of YDL will be available for
this G3?

Hi Paul: Thanks for the answers to all of my questions!

I have a clarification question that I hope you'll be able to answer. I
visited http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/ and the website recommended
there (http://linuxcare.com.au/paulus/kernels.html). If I understood
correctly, to get linux to run on my firewire G3, I would need to
install the 2.3.99-pre6-pre3 kernel. Or can I get away with
2.2.15-pre19? The pages were not very specific about firewire G3's
(unless they refer to it w/ a model number or name I don't know).

If I do need 2.3.99-pre6-pre3, is it possible for me to get it without
an already running copy of Linux? As far as I could tell, I could only
get that kernel by using rsync, which I gather I would need Linux to
run? Also, I believe only a source version of .99 is available, so
again I'd imagine I'd need Linux to compile the source?

I appreciate the help,

peter