Re: Moving Linux hard drive to another machine. Possible?

Subject: Re: Moving Linux hard drive to another machine. Possible?
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 10:29:13 MDT

on 5/11/00 7:55 PM, pac1@tiac.net at pac1@tiac.net wrote:

> Try plugging in your adb keyboard/mouse to the back of the Blue G3. I've even
> heard you can use both adb and usb keyboards at once, but I'd try it without
> the usb plugged in to start.

Yeah, cool. Did this. Did the other stuff Ed Jaeger said and the hdf drive
mounted read/write. Unfortunately soon after that the boot process just
locked up. No amount of fiddling with settings in BootX seemd to make a
difference.

The machine (B&W G3) mounts the drive, then says loading modules [OK] then:

Right there it just hangs. No keys will work (although they worked before).
The only thing I can do at that point is to hit cntrl-cmd reset.

I tried entering interactive mode by hitting I and i repeatedly before the
hang but it does not enter interactive mode- it just merrily goes along
until the hang. Must have booted 9 or 10 times trying various things, but
always the same result.

One time the disk was under a file system check and I hit cntrl-C and it
broke out, mounted the disk read only, and then hung up at another spot. I
think it skipped a bunch of modules and hung at initializing the system log.

Anyway, it looks like I'll have to go back to two machines unless somebody
clues me in on what the problem might be. Thanks guys anyway.

--William K. Gibson
1stDesk Systems
firstdesk@columbus.rr.com