Re: ftp access

Subject: Re: ftp access
From: Andrew Dacey (frugal@hfx.eastlink.ca)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 14:12:39 MDT

Tim Long wrote:

> 2 When I boot using yaboot the command line comes up. Having logged
> on as root I type 'gdm' I get a second prompt to log on again before
> Gnome starts. Is it possible to add to the yaboot script I enter in the
> OF prompt, currently 'boot hd:5,\yaboot.tbxi' so gnome starts up
> straight away? Is this to do with setting runlevel settings in
> /etc/inittab?

Normally, you'll find that the default runlevel in your /etc/inittab is
set to 3. Down towards the end of the file, you'll usually find the info
for starting X, which is usually at run-level 5. Edit the line that
starts X (or comment it out and create your own) so that it runs gdm (it
might be on xdm or kdm right now). Then, you can do 1 of 2 things. You
can either change the default run-level to 5, or you can change the
run-level the X is started on to 3. I tend to prefer changing the
default to 5 because then you can start up linux without running X if
you want by going into run-level 3.

Frugal