Re: YDL 1.2 on PowerMac 4400

Subject: Re: YDL 1.2 on PowerMac 4400
From: Scott Parrish (parrisc@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 16:46:15 MDT

On Sun, 21 May 2000, you wrote:
> Hello,
> I have tried to install YDL 1.2 on a PowerMac 4400/200, and I have found
> significant problems in X configuration.
> Little disclaimer: I'm not a MAC user (the PowerMac is my father's
> computer) even if I have some experience with Linux on Intel machines. This
> means I don't know MAC peculiarities. Sorry for that.

I have the same motherboard in a motorola machine (Motorola made the board).
I'm running YDL 1.1 (2.2.15pre19, X3.3.3) but as far as I know this hasnt
changed.

You need to check the "no video driver" box in BootX and send this as kernel
args (the text input line at the bottom of the BootX screen):

video=atyfb:vmode:12,cmode:16

12 is the screen res 800x600 @ 75 Hz 16 is 16 bit color (you can change these,
check the install guide)

boot into linux and run Xconfigurator

(if all goes well retype the kernel args next time you boot and save them to
prefs)

That should work fine in X. As far as I know there is no hardware acceleration
for the ati chipset in the 4400/starmax. I have tried Xpmac.rage128 (supposed
to have Mach64 accel) but X wouldnt even start, just blanked the screen and sat
there.

Scott