Re: Newbie installation questions...

Subject: Re: Newbie installation questions...
From: Ed Jaeger (ed.jaeger@bgcorp.com)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 12:28:59 MDT

You will need (at least) two partitions for YDL:
        -a "swap" partition for virtal memory;
        -a "root" partition for the linux filesystem

Linux cannot be installed "on top of" an HFS filesystem - it needs it's
own. However, there is an extension (MountX) that will allow you to
mount the linux ext2-formatted partition in MacOS, and you han mount HFS
(but not HFS+ to the best of my knowledge) partitions in linux.

I have an older machine that boots via BootX, but your iMac should (I
think) use yaBoot to get into linux from MacOS. Unfortunately, I am
pretty sure both of these need to read the linux kernel from your MacOS
(HFS) drive and will not work with an HFS+ drive.

You might consider a 2gb HFS partition for just the MacOS, 4gb ext2 for
YDL, 256mb for linux swap, and the balance HFS+ for all your other MacOS
stuff - with the caveat that anything on the HFS+ will be invisible to YDL.

Eric Fronberg wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
> I've just purchased YDL 1.2 and have run into some confusions about
> installation.
>
> My system is an iMac 333Mhz. I've just recently upgraded the
> HD to a 27Gb drive and have 288Mb of RAM installed.
>
> The HD is partitioned into two pieces. The first is HFS+ at ~17.5 Gb
> The second partition is HFS at ~8 Gb.
>
> I seem to be unable to boot from the second partition -- Having even done
> a 'fresh' MacOS 9 install to this second partition, leaves me with a
> blank screen (no smiling Mac Icon).
>
> Some questions...
>
> - I've searched the archives to any mention of HFS+ support. The question
> has come up multiple times without any answer. Does anyone know of
> any development being done for support of HFS+?
>
> - As mentioned above I currently have Two partitions set up on the
> iMac disk. Is the above paritioning appropriate for YDL
> installation/operation? I'm concerned about yaboot or xboot
> requirements/assumptions. I not sure from the Docs, but it seems
> that in place of the second partition, there may need to be a small
> HFS partition with a "third unformatted" partition occupying the
> rest of the disk space. This Third partition would hold YDL proper
> I could also imagine that YDL runs on top of HFS with no need for this
> third partition.
>
> - Any insights on the 2nd partition booting? I'm guessing that this
> might be a firmware issue. (Not able to deal with such a large drive??)
>
> - Will the 2nd partition booting issue affect YDL booting? (yaboot or xboot?)
>
> I've spent Many, Many hours reinstalling the OS onto the first
> parition and don't look forward to having to do that again
> (Reformatting to HFS, and reinstalling the data) in order to have YDL
> see the the MacOS partition.
>
> What I'm considering now (as an approach) is booting MacOS 9 from the
> CDROM, and copying all the info from the first partition to the
> second, then initializing the first partition to HFS and then copying
> all the data back.
>
> - Is there any problem with the above approach?
>
> thanks in advance!
>
> -- enf

> | Eric Fronberg | |
> | Cisco Systems | email: enf@cisco.com |
> | 170 W. Tasman Dr. | phone: 408 526 7834 |
> | San Jose, CA 95134 | |

Ed Jaeger, CFO, Bohlender Graebener Corporation
ed.jaeger@bgcorp.com
http://www.bgcorp.com
---
"Luck is not chance, it's toil; fortune's expensive smile is earned."

-- Emily Dickinson