Re: 128Mb Swap limit?

Subject: Re: 128Mb Swap limit?
From: Ed Jaeger (ed.jaeger@bgcorp.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 21:58:59 MDT

There used to be a 128mb limit on the size of a single swap partition
(you could have more than one, of course) but that limit's long gone.
See how much you use (top, procinfo) & adjust accordingly. You can also
use regular disk files for swap if you find you need more.

Eric Fronberg wrote:

> The 1.2 Docs specify that you shouldn't create a swap space > 128Mb
>
> Bottom of 5.9 Reads:
>
> "As a general rule (if you are not certain how much swap space
> to allocate), double th amount of physical RAM, but not that
> the swap partition should not exceed 128 MB (even with more
> than 64 MB) if you have 32 megs of RAM, 64 MB of swap is
> recommended."
>
> Why this limitation? I've got >256Mb RAM, seem silly to have a swap
> space < size of RAM. Is this a SW limitation of YDL?
>
> thanks!
>
> -- enf

> | Eric Fronberg | |
> | Cisco Systems | email: enf@cisco.com |
> | 170 W. Tasman Dr. | phone: 408 526 7834 |
> | San Jose, CA 95134 | |

---
Ed Jaeger

"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."

- George Bernard Shaw