YDL and RealTekFE551 ethernet

Subject: YDL and RealTekFE551 ethernet
From: Sean O. Denney (sdenney@cise.ufl.edu)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 05:25:53 MDT

Hi everyone...

It's been awhile since I've tried to get YDL on my old 6400/200, but I
really need linux and I don't want to tie up my brand new computer
with it.

The problem i was having in the past was that the MacSense 10/100 NIC
wan't being recognized by YDL, but it works fine in MacOS. So, until
recently, my 6400/200 was a stand alone box (which, for linux, really
sucks).

I have recently come into some time to sit down and work at this
problem. So here is what I did:

1. I found a discussion on this problem on the YDL mailing lists.
2. I found an install guide to build the rtl8139 driver into a module.
3. When I first boot linux, the hardware info scrolls by too fast for
me to see any of it (If anyone know where this info is stored after
boot, I would really appreciate it).
4. I do "ifconfig -a" but eth# is not listed.
5. I do "ifconfig eth0 up" and then eth0 is listed.

Now, I'm not new to linux/unix, but when it comes to networking I'm
not all too comfortable.

My setup is as follows:

DSL from BellSouth runs into a LinkSys Etherfast 4-Port DSL
Switched Router. The local IP addressing is dynamic, so I will need
YDL to obtain it's local IP from the router.

My questions basically are:

1. How do I get YDL to obtain it's IP from the router?; and
2. What do I need to do once my NIC/YDL has obtained an IP?

Any would would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
--- Sean Denney