PPP woes (was Re: Locating FAQ/help)

Subject: PPP woes (was Re: Locating FAQ/help)
From: Michael Tucker (mtucker@eecs.harvard.edu)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 23:09:35 MDT

Hi,

  I tried out the command that Mike said he used (btw - thanks for all
the help). But, I'm still seeing the same behavior as with my current
scripts. The modem is dialing out properly, and AFAIK from looking at
/var/log/messages, it is starting the PPP connection properly. When I run
ifconfig, ppp0 is present and has an inet addr and a P-t-P addr. Also,
running route shows that it *is* adding a default route that gateways
through the P-t-P addr (w/ genmask/netmask 0.0.0.0 -- is that
right?). But, I've been playing around, and found that I cannot
successfully ping anywhere over the PPP connection.... including the
machine at the other end of phone line! I have tried pinging both
addresses that are provided by the PPP connection and I can neither get to
the outside machine, nor ping my computer through the PPP gateway (not
that that is exceptionally surprising). I have been playing around with
route, and have tried changing the default route's netmask, etc to no
avail. I am going to look over the howto's and faq's for generic-linux PPP
connections, but I thought I would update the list, and see if anyone has
any ideas.

Thanks!
Mike