Problems with 1.2 installation from CD

Subject: Problems with 1.2 installation from CD
From: Steve Bush (Steve.Bush@AUC.TRW.Com)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 15:07:03 MST

You guys (and ladies!) must be tired of hearing from Linux Newbies,
but here's one more.

I installed YDL 1.2 from CD on my PowerCurve 120 (see specs below) and
when I went to run startx, I got a message stating the following
file is missing:

libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3

I poked around in some of the other PPC Linux mailing list archives and
found that this lib comes from either:

libstdc++-2.10.0-0a.ppc.rpm or
gcc-2.95.2-1g.src.rpm

It looks like there is a difference in shared libs depending on which
compiler you
use. i.e.

egcs(-c++-1.1.2-12c) uses libstdc++-libc6.1-1.1.so.2 and
gcc-2.95.2(-1g.src.rpm) uses libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3

So I'm guessing some of the executables were built with egcs and some
with gcc-2.95.2???

Either that or all the executables were built with egcs and then
gcc-2.95.2
was loaded (rpm'd) afterwards. I did ask for the developer packages
during
the installation. (Hmmm, maybe I should reinstall and forego the
developer
packages??)

Has anyone else had this problem?

One of the fixes suggested (on the PPCLinux list) was to make a link to
the existing shared
libarary file and call it libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3. That doesn't sound
like it will work.

Another suggestion was to:

rpm -ivh libstdc++-2.10.0-0a.ppc.rpm

But then another list message said this caused problems with
egcs-c++-1.1.2-12c, since
it uses an earlier libstdc....

BTW the reason I'm looking at the PPCLinux list and not the YDL list is
that I can't seem
to find anything on the YDL list. I'm at this URL
http://lists.yellowdoglinux.com/ and
every time I do a search, nothing is found. Is there a better URL for
searching the YDL list?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Computer info
PowerCurve 120, MacOS 8.1, Bootx 1.2.2, vmlinux from 1.2 CD,
Sonnet G3, ATI Rage Orien video, 176 MB RAM, Apple CDROM

--
Steve Bush