Kernal and graphics card problems.

Subject: Kernal and graphics card problems.
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@IainStevenson.com)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 02:19:03 MST

I think there are some problems to be resolved with the kernel. I've now
upgraded my 9600/200 with a Rage Orion graphics card. Even before I did
this I was having difficulties.

There are definitely problems with building both the Paulus and pre20-ben2
kernels on my machine - both fail to build. I have notified Paul of the
problem and I guess he is working on it (his first fix failed). With the
stock 2.2.17 kernel the build is straightforward but I've found that it only
works with the "no video card" option - otherwise you get the 5 line startup
message and then linux hangs. If anyone knows of a fix I'd be grateful for
an appropriate pointer.

I suspect also that there are some non-obvious dependencies between options
selected in a kernel build - so stripping out everything not relevant to
your machine may cause unexpected problems.

  Iain