Re: Ti Powerbooks and YDL 2.1 - Problems

Subject: Re: Ti Powerbooks and YDL 2.1 - Problems
From: Chip Witt (chip.witt@westwave.com)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 00:17:16 MST

Gavin,

I have the same Powerbook and documented the fix to the problems you are
having on this listserve (BTW - I'm now running 2.4.12-benh0 with this
solution in place). The info from that post is as follows:

Actually, The problem was specific to the drive needing ATAPI SCSI emulation
to function properly. I will describe what
worked to fix the problem...

In /etc/yaboot.conf I added the "append" line:

<snipped normal stuff from top of file>

# yaboot images
image=/boot/vmlinux
    label=linux
    root=/dev/hda4
    append="hdc=ide-scsi"

Then I had to make the /dev/sr0 device:

mknod /dev/sr0 b 11 0
chgrp disk /dev/sr0
chmod 666 /dev/sr0 # so anyone can use

Fixed the symlink to /dev/cdrom:

ln -sf /dev/sr0 /dev/cdrom

Voila! Music for the masses (and ripping too). The only thing I've found to
be wonky about this particular solution is,
unlike on my x86 laptop with traditional ATAPI control, ripping CD tracks to
.wav prior to encoding to .mp3
(or other) results in kernel threads that are uninterruptable by user
processes -- making the machine impossible to use
for anything but the ripping process. I guess it's true...you can't have
everything...but we're getting
closer.

If you're into playing DVDs, use Xine with the DVDNav plugin
(xine.sourceforge.net) over Video Lan Client (vlc sound sync doesn't work
well).

I also have a line in my rc.local file that says, "echo 0 >
/proc/sys/dev/cdrom/check_media". This fixed a problem with the 2.4 kernel
installer that wouldn't allow for the CD-ROM to get mounted. I put the line
in rc.local at someone else's suggestion when trouble-shooting the issue you
are now having. I've left it in simply because it isn't doing any harm (I
don't know if it is necessary now or not -- probably not).

Cheers.

CW