Re: kernel compile problems w/ 2..2.19k (yd2.0)

Subject: Re: kernel compile problems w/ 2..2.19k (yd2.0)
From: John M. Wright (jmw@chem.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 22:56:42 MST

"Adam",

Generally - I think it may be a mistake to do a make clean after
config and depend; I have always done a make mrproper as
the very first step, then make {x,menu,}config, make dep, followed
by make vmlinux, make modules, and (as root) make modules_install.

Specifically - regarding the tk error when attempting to do
make xconfig - I got exactly the same error when I first attempted
to do a build from the 2.4.10-12a source provided with YDL2.1.
I looked at the file referenced in the error line:

drivers/net/Config.in: 278: unknown command

and found, just above line 278, several lines ending in $CONFIG_PPP,
one of which had folded the line so that the final "PP" appeared
on the line below. Line 278 contained a single "P", which at first
glance looked like it was also a fold from the line above; however,
it was actually a line with just a single "P". Somehow, a newline
had gotten inserted before the last character of the line above,
which had originally ended with "$CONFIG_PPP" (but now ended with
just "CONFIG_PP"). After I removed the extraneous newline and
restored the "P" to its obvious correct position at the end of the
line above, "make xconfig" worked fine.

John Wright

Original message (in part)