proftp: Must perform authentication before identifying USER

Subject: proftp: Must perform authentication before identifying USER
From: Robert J. Bloemeke (bloemeke@mac.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 08:10:10 MST

Hello everybody,
Can anyone explain what this means, and how I can fix it? I'm trying to
connect with my iMac yellowdoglinux 2.1 via a mac 9.1 on the same local
network via Transmit. But this error message appears within transmit: "Must
perform authentication before identifying USER". When trying to connect via
Transmit, I enter the local ip for the yellowdog, and my name and password
as a user of the same.

Also, after changing configurations, via webmin, what must I do to get
proftp to re-load the configuration files? Should I stop it and start it up
again? Or is there something else that I should be doing?

Thanks in advance,
Robert